Yes, 8GB RAM is enough for a laptop only if you want to do decent low graphics gaming, running and analyzing very little amount of data in office programs and occasionally multitasking.
However, 8GB of RAM is never enough if you do not have any GPU running and still want to run resource-intensive programs, such as High Quality Video Editing, Professional Photo Editing, Long Time Chrome Browsing or if you want to run multiple games and play them at once without experiencing lag.
So, the less amount of RAM means less amount of output. Consider upgrading to 16GB of RAM with a decent Graphics Card if you are expecting to run games and do some video editing
What Type of User Should Get 8GB of RAM?
Generally speaking, 8GB of RAM should be sufficient for basic users such as those who browse the internet and stream not very long videos and not planning to do any gaming.
For those who are looking to purchase a laptop with 8GB of RAM, always decide form the beginning about what task you are going to perform. Activities such as word processing, emailing, and playing less demanding computer games are some of the ideal thing a laptop user with 8GB of RAM should expect.
If someone considering using their laptop mainly to play computer games should consider getting at least 16GB of RAM to enjoy a smoother gaming experience and increased frame rates on demanding titles. If you’re a professional content creator and power user, who require the most out of their machines should also look into getting more than 8GB of RAM with a very capable GPU if they are to perform tasks such as 3D rendering and video editing side by side.
Overall, 8GB of RAM should be enough for basic activities, but it may struggle with more intensive tasks such as gaming or content creation. It is a good way to save on the laptop’s cost, but it dramatically reduces the possibilities of what can be done with the machine. If you need your laptop to be more than capable of running basic tasks, then it is best to look into options with more RAM.
As technology and software advance over time, 8GB of RAM may eventually not be able to keep up with the demands of modern software, making it a less desirable option in the future.
So, those who are looking for a more capable machine should consider getting at least 16GB of RAM if they can afford it. This will ensure that your laptop can handle more intensive tasks, as well as future software upgrades, without any issues. It will also provide a more enjoyable gaming experience for those who are looking to use their laptop mainly for this purpose.
5 Advantages of Having 8GB RAM on your Laptop
1. Boosts Performance: 8GB of RAM is enough to run multiple applications and multitask with ease, which can significantly boost your laptop’s performance compared to systems with less RAM.
2. Enhances Gaming Experience: For those who enjoy playing computer games, 8GB of RAM can provide a smoother gaming experience as it can handle the more demanding games without causing any issues or lags.
3. Saves Money: Compared to laptops that come with 16GB or more RAM, having 8GB of RAM on your laptop will save you money since it’s generally cheaper than getting a system with higher specs.
4. Longer Battery Life: Having 8GB of RAM also helps conserve battery life because the laptop will not need to use as much power to run multiple applications or intensive tasks.
5. Upgradeable: 8GB of RAM is still a good starting point and can be upgraded in the future if the user finds they need more memory for their activities. This allows the user to have more freedom with their choice of machine, as well as making it easier to upgrade when needed.
Overall, having 8GB of RAM on your laptop is a great way to get started with basic computer knowledge and also lets you learn how to upgrade the RAM by yourself.
5 Disadvantages of Having 8GB RAM on your Laptop
1. Limited Memory for Heavy Tasks: 8GB of RAM may not be sufficient for intensive tasks such as video and photo editing, 3D rendering, or CAD design work. In such cases, users might experience lags and slowdowns which can dramatically reduce the quality and efficiency of their work.
2. Lacks Future-Proof Capabilities: As technology advances, more memory-intensive software will most likely be released in the future. 8GB of RAM may not be enough to handle these programs and can lead to incompatibility issues or slowdown when running them on a laptop with this amount of memory.
3. Poor Gaming Performance: While 8GB of RAM is enough to run some less demanding games, intensive titles may require more than that amount to provide smooth gameplay and a good frame rate. This means that gamers who want to enjoy a better gaming experience should look into getting at least 16GB of RAM if they are to play the latest games on their laptop.
4. Difficult Upgrade Path: Depending on your laptop’s motherboard type, it could be difficult to upgrade from 8GB of RAM up to 16GB or more due to compatibility issues with different types of memory modules. Some laptops might also have limited slots available for additional RAM sticks, so check your laptop’s specifications before attempting any upgrade.
5. Costly Upgrades: Another disadvantage is that upgrades from 8GB of RAM can be quite costly depending on your laptop model and the type of RAM modules you choose to purchase for the upgrade.
Therefore users who need more memory need to make sure that they choose an laptop model that can easily accommodate additional sticks without needing an expensive upgrade path or requiring time-consuming hardware modifications to do so.
Best 8GB RAM Producing Brands
Each of these three brands offers great quality RAM products that provide reliable performance and a lifetime warranty to back them up. Whether you are looking for an 8GB RAM upgrade or building a new PC, any one of these brands can give you the best value for your money. So choose after doing more market research.
Corsair is one of the most well-known companies in the PC gaming and computer hardware industry. They are known for their excellent RAM products, which come with a lifetime warranty and have been tested to run at high speeds. The Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM is one of the best 8GB RAM brands available in the market today.
Kingston is another renowned brand that produces excellent RAM modules. Their HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM has been designed to deliver consistent performance and durability. It also comes with a lifetime warranty, so you can purchase the product with confidence.
G.Skill is a brand that specializes in gaming and overclocking memory solutions. Their Trident Z 8GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM is designed to be highly compatible with many motherboards, making it easier for you to upgrade your system without any compatibility issues. This RAM also features a lifetime warranty and is one of the best 8GB RAM brands available.